Monday, December 03, 2007

Road Trip!!!

So yesterday I went on a road trip. For a few weeks now some friends and I have been talking about taking a day trip to the states on a Sunday after church. The only snag in our plan is that one of my friends (well actually the couple) are having a baby probably as I write (Well, the due date is on Wednesday, but ya never know). So anyways after church I was ansy to do something, so I started bugging my one buddy to go to the states...he agreed...we then got a family involved (they are a fun family...two teenage kids, but fun)...so off we went...snow pouring down, knowing the roads were bad. It took us about 4 hours to do a 2 hour trip to Omak, Washington)

The trip was filled with much cheerful yipping, and freezing coldness...the dad likes the window rolled down during the whole trip...I didn't have a toque...my head was cold.

When we got there, we went to a mexican restaurant...unlimited homemade nacho chips, amazing salsa, and this cabbage stuff you put on too...it was good. I got the fajitas, which were the special that day, and were amazing...

Then it was off to walmart (they have a huge one)...I bought a movie (rudy) for 5 bucks, a shirt for 10, some leather gloves for 10, and a balaclava to keep my head a face warm on the way back for 2 and a pack of amazing gum for 1...but the experience was priceless.

We were unsure how much we were allowed to take across the border without paying customs at the border...we agreed it was 50 bucks a person. The family we went with spent about 600 bucks, so there went that...

On the way back, the roads were a lot better...it appeared to have warmed up a bit. The balaclava came in very handy...my face and head were toasty warm.

When we got to the border, the dad had to show the receipt of purchases..we then got pulled to the side (this was new for me...I've heard of such things, but never experienced it)...the dad went in...had to pay 60 bucks for customs, or duty or whatever...he then came out, and we thought we were on our way, but he said we all had to go in...I'm not gonna lie...I was excited...my first time in a search. We all piled in the building (no frisking...what kind of search was this...I should have cracked a drug joke)...she took the keys and went out to the van...searched through all the stuff...seemed to spend a lot of time looking through my jacket...nothing in it, but there are small holes in the pockets...perhaps she though I was stashing stuff. A few minutes later she came back. I asked out of curiousity how much we are allowed to bring back without paying...she said nothing for just a day trip...if you spend a night it's different. I mentioned I had gone to Mariner's games before and bought souvenir's and she said it was up to the officer's discrection. Okay...now you and I know. Moving on...

We got back at midnight...the dad of the family walks up his steps to the front door and immediately says, "phone the police, someone broke in"...we thought he was kidding, as he often jokes this way...so I walk up the steps and see that the door had been kicked in...interesting...

The dad says, "I think he's still in there" we all stand at the door expecting a murderous beast run out with a pocket knife flailing...nothing happens...the mom phones the police...

The dad and kids proceed to go into the house...I tell them to stay out, but follow them in...some of the rooms had been rooted through, but nothing appeared to be missing...a typical smash a grab job...the mom says the cops tell us to keep out...I leave

The dad stays in the house, and the kids...we all yell at them to get out...we are still waiting for the psycho to run out slitting throats...

Four cop cars come....only one male and one female cop go in...hands on guns, flashlights in hands...we here them yell "police" and bang around a bit...it was like a scene from CSI...except no killer...the snow indicated there were footprints going in, but none going out...interesting...

So in the end there was noone in there...the cops don't do much...what can they do? But it made for an interesting end to a road trip...

Jer

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Wow! So much excitement in one day. Really sorry you didn't get searched more thoroughly...would have made the blog just that much more exciting:)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Wow, what a day! Glad to see you posting again.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Bid said...

I bet they are still in there.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home